Thursday, July 1, 2010

Maybe I was born a gipsy.

My parents lived in a tiny village in Northern Ontario. My mother went back to her hometowm to give birth to me. I've been on the road ever since. When I was about 2, we moved to a town in northern Québec, and again the next year,another town close to the first. Then when I was six, we moved back to Ontario. Three years after that, packin' up and movin' agin... Three more years and my parents bought a house in the country and kinda settled down for 20 odds years.

I left home when I was nineteen, travelled across Canada for 6 months and lived in Mexico for 5 months. Not by myself, I was part of a cultural exchange programm called Canada World Youth, in its second year. Wow! Who wants to stay put after that?!

I moved to Manitoba, and for a while my only wanderings were limited to going "back Home" for Christmas. Lived in Manitoba all of my adult life. In the past ten years or so, travelled to many places, some more exotic than other: Mexico again, Costa Rica, Ireland, France, Sénégal, Gambia, my own country of course and a bit of the USA.

Even living here, I have moved many times, from one street to another, one part of town to another. And now, going back to my roots I guess, back to Ontario. For how long? We'll see.

I want to retire to Senegal. That may be only a few years away, but nothing like planning ahead.

I always have a suitcase, packed and ready to go, hidden away in the closet. You just never know.

2 comments:

  1. Wow... it's fun to read your blog and discover your adventurous past (and the adventure continues!!)... great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you like it.
    When I went to Senegal the second time, I had set up a system of "generic" emails that I would send about once a week when possible. After remembering that, I thought a blog might be more manageable. I can write it whenever and don't need to send out emails.

    ReplyDelete