Sunday, March 13, 2011

Just like in a bad movie, got our income tax done at Joe's Fly by Night Taxes and Dry Cleaning

We had an appointment for noon, yesterday, but I had to call to change it to 4pm. The girl on the phone insists that we come in at 3:30, cause they close at 5 and to do a "Couple" it takes over an hour.

So we are there dutifully a bit before 3:30 and wait. We prefer being a bit early, than late. So at 3:45 we are still waiting... Oh sorry, she will be just a few more moments. At 4PM we are still waiting. Both tired and getting grumpy. Oh she won't be much longer now.

We left.

Went next door, ia a rather seedy looking place, I think it was an office, cause there were a couple of desks there and some ratty looking plastic chairs, kinda like a walk-in clinic look... Right next door to the Cash Store on ch. de Montreal, en face du Jean Coutu, for those who know... Nobody in there but us chickens, and the accountant. Ousmane, bless his little heart, asks for a price and negociated down to something affordable (probably their usual price). We hand over all our papers. In the meantime, a few people walk in intermittently, and I am starting to feel claustrophobic, and very aware that we have no privacy. Some of those people are a bit smelly too (cigarette breath and clothes - at least I prefer to think that's all it was).

After about 30 minutes, he hands over our papers and says, ok, you will be getting this back, and you will be getting that back. I put the student fees on yours (me) and blablabla. He had gotten everything mixed up, put half of my stuff on Ousmane's return and some of Ousmane's on mine. I looked at it, and said that I didn't think it was right, so he looked at it again, oops, yup, I just need to change this, and this...And redid it 3 times. Ça inspire la confiance. Yeah, I really would trust this guy with my life.

Finally he finished. I looked it over, it seemd to make sense, the right expenses with the right person and we are getting a bit back. Paid the guy and left very quickly. I would not even be able to tell you how many people were in there when we left, or describe even one of them. Not a good spy or police witness on this one.

I thought that because of the move, the being unemployed, the being a student, the changing of jobs, it would be very complicated, and an accountant would be able to figure it out faster and better than us...

Oh, and apparently, we make too much money to claim our renting fees...

However, with my tax return, I am investing in a "Calculate your own taxes" program. If this guy could do it, I certainly can do it too. Probably better and faster, And with no stinky people sitting too close to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment